Friday 6 May 2011

I might not be an actual princess, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't feel like one!

I will admit that I am absolutely jealous of Kate Middleton... Sometimes.  Do I want paparazzi following me all the time, all the eyes of the world watching my every move, or even the fate of a monarchy in my hands having to produce an heir to the thrown?  No, thank you!  However, I am envious of the fact that she will have the liberty to enjoy all the beautiful Victorian antique pieces, in Buckingham Palace.  Though, I may not live in the Buckingham Palace, I certainly can make an easy piece of furniture feel like it.

No, its not a Victorian era chair however, my inspiration came from that era by using a Demask jacquard fabric. It was a day I was wasting time at Fabric Land and came across this long roll of upholstery fabric.  It was $20 a meter, but wait!  Since I am a Fabric Land member, I reaped the reward of the exclusive offer of 50% for members only with additional 20% off!  Can't go wrong.  So I bought 4 meters of it.  I had no clue why I needed so much, but I needed it.  Who knows?  What if I had to have it everywhere in the house and when I went back to Fabric Land, it would be sold out?  I would be devastated.  I would have sleepless nights because all I would think about is how I should have bought 4 meters.  Did I mention that I am a little bit of a Shopaholic?

About 6 months later, I finally figured out what I wanted to use 1.5 meters out of the 4 meters for.  You see, I have this adorable vanity table from Ikea that needed an adorable chair to go with it.  I also had this boring chair from Ikea, I got for free, that I had a vision for.  I did at some point feel the need to throw out this blasé chair, but in the back of my mind, this chair was destined for greatness.

One Saturday afternoon, in front of the TV, I worked away at making this chair fulfill the destiny it was meant to endeavor.  With some extra foam, a staple gun and my Sears sewing machine, it would be the story of the ugly duckling turning into the beautiful swan.  Now, every morning as I sit in my chair at the vanity, applying my make-up, I can close my eyes and imagine how it would feel to be Princess Kate in her Buckingham Palace.










No comments:

Post a Comment